Gabbie is almost 6 weeks old already:) I just have to say that being a first time mom is really scary at times. Last friday morning Chad had already gone to work and Gabbie started waking up, so I moved her over to our bed from her bouncer where she had been sleeping. She spit up just a little bit and I heard her start to choke a little. She often does the typical newborn breathing where she forgets to breath for like 5-10 seconds, but then usually she is just fine and starts to breath again. This time the loss of breath/choking kept happening over and over for about 8 minutes. Her sweet little eyes were just watering and milk was coming out of her nose. She just kept looking up at me like help me mom! I walked around with her talked to her, talked to her, sat with her, went outside with her, nothing was working. I have never felt so scared and helpless in my life and I was definitely panicking. I almost dialed 911 but called Chad instead asking what to do. He called my old boss who is a Dr. who then called me and helped me. To make a long story short Gabbie is so strong. She started breathing again and even fell asleep in my arms as I cried. Chad came home and we took her right into the clinic to be looked at. Everything was great - her weight, her lungs sounded good, even her blood work was good which was a huge relief. The Dr. put her on some medication to help with reflux which is what they are thinking caused this event. For a few weeks before this I was wondering if she had a mild case of refulx because she has had some of the symptoms including not being comfortable sleeping on her back and burping and hiccuping a lot. Anyway - for several days after this I was so worried that I couldn't sleep and didn't have any appetite. I don't want that to ever happen again to my sweet angel. The last two days things are going much better and I just have to say thanks to family and friends for being there for me. I know she will be just fine and we will make it past all of this. She is eating better and sleeping better and mom is not as stressed out which is I think is helping the whole situation as well. Newborns are amazingly strong and resilient which is such a blessing. I am sure this was just the first of many scary parenting situations we will get through together! I love you Gabbie and I am so glad you are having a much better week.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Scared
Gabbie is almost 6 weeks old already:) I just have to say that being a first time mom is really scary at times. Last friday morning Chad had already gone to work and Gabbie started waking up, so I moved her over to our bed from her bouncer where she had been sleeping. She spit up just a little bit and I heard her start to choke a little. She often does the typical newborn breathing where she forgets to breath for like 5-10 seconds, but then usually she is just fine and starts to breath again. This time the loss of breath/choking kept happening over and over for about 8 minutes. Her sweet little eyes were just watering and milk was coming out of her nose. She just kept looking up at me like help me mom! I walked around with her talked to her, talked to her, sat with her, went outside with her, nothing was working. I have never felt so scared and helpless in my life and I was definitely panicking. I almost dialed 911 but called Chad instead asking what to do. He called my old boss who is a Dr. who then called me and helped me. To make a long story short Gabbie is so strong. She started breathing again and even fell asleep in my arms as I cried. Chad came home and we took her right into the clinic to be looked at. Everything was great - her weight, her lungs sounded good, even her blood work was good which was a huge relief. The Dr. put her on some medication to help with reflux which is what they are thinking caused this event. For a few weeks before this I was wondering if she had a mild case of refulx because she has had some of the symptoms including not being comfortable sleeping on her back and burping and hiccuping a lot. Anyway - for several days after this I was so worried that I couldn't sleep and didn't have any appetite. I don't want that to ever happen again to my sweet angel. The last two days things are going much better and I just have to say thanks to family and friends for being there for me. I know she will be just fine and we will make it past all of this. She is eating better and sleeping better and mom is not as stressed out which is I think is helping the whole situation as well. Newborns are amazingly strong and resilient which is such a blessing. I am sure this was just the first of many scary parenting situations we will get through together! I love you Gabbie and I am so glad you are having a much better week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
that is a very scary thing to happen. Something similar happened with Addie and I freaked out and went to the doctor, but everything was fine. She had a few more problems for a week or so after that, but luckily, they did not last long. I hope Gabbie is the same way and is over it soon. Sorry I missed your call today, I would of loved seeing you guys! hope to see you soon and call me if you need someone to watch Gabbie for a few hours, or we could all just hang out!
Being a mom can be so stressful! I remember when Ellison was little I thought she was having seizures when she would have any unusal movement. You are doing a fine job, and I am glad to hear that both of you are doing better!
Poor Heather! What a scary ordeal. Jamin was just telling me the other day how he was remembering back to when Devin was born and the thing that stood out the most was how they just sent us home from the hospital with this little baby and no instructions!!! They just kicked us out and we are supposed to know what to do to keep the little thing alive. There are so many new scary experiences that come with your first. Every bad bout of gas, their first cold, a rash, it's all so scary. You'll make a million calls to your doctors office and then the next time that same thing happens, you'll still call your doctor but maybe this time you will be able to control the hysteria in your voice! :) At least that's how it was for me.
Sad! That is super scary. We had that happen with both of our kids, only it definitely didn't last 8 minutes. How freaking scary. You should never feel stupid for getting scared about that stuff. When Rayce was like 2 days old, I called the doctor freaking out because there were little gel thingies in his diaper! I didn't know what to think! I thought his pee was crystallizing or something! Nope, that's just the stuff that's in diapers that makes them so absorbant. I felt like such a DORK! But I guess everyone goes through it! Ha ha. Glad she's ok. I can't even stand how cute she is.
Post a Comment