Friday - we watched Amy so my parents could go to some party with all of my Father's old high school buddies and remember the 'good ol days.' Amy is a breeze to watch, not really a chore at all. The issue was I was freaking stressing because the next day was Test #1. For those of you who don't know, I am preparing, in the process of, anticipating taking the ARE (architectural registration examination). Yes a series of seven 4-5 hour tests, meant to stretch, freak out, over analyze every aspect of the profession, building industry and pretty much everything else. This first test was Programming, Practice and Planning - which basically covers the history of architecture, contracts, ethics, office, day-to-day affairs, zoning issues, city issues, planning issues and what ever else they may feel necessary to throw on the test.
Saturday - the day of the first big test - I am feeling a little better. I had an appointment at 12:30. I was told to be at the testing center 30 minutes early to get signed in. I was prepared, I cleaned out my pockets and headed up to the room. Come to find out, the appointment means NOTHING. It is a first come first serve type of situation and there were like 30 people sitting around the hall waiting for there name to be called. Are you serious, why set appointments if this is the back up that occurs. So after sitting on the couch for just over an hour, with my anxiety setting in more and more, my name was called.... finally.... after 3 hours of testing, my brain ready to explode I headed on home... (by the way, you don't find out the results of the test for 2-3 months).
Side note: I had a dream about a month ago that my little sister would have her baby on this day. I dreamed that the family kept calling my phone through the entire test and would not leave me alone. So none the less, this is the day I picked because I HAD A DREAM THAT HE WOULD BE BORN ON THIS DAY.
So guess what, we call my sis when I get home and yes she is in the hospital. So we pack up the little one and head down to say good luck, help her visualize the situation (inside joke) and basically take up some time while she sits in a drugged up stupor. On our way down, we had everything planned out so perfectly. Gabbie just ate, we could drive down, get us something to eat and then head on over. Perfect plan.... poor execution.... as we were driving down on the freeway the driverside front tire decided it no longer wanted to hold air... yes the thing was flat. So I thought to myself, no problem, I am a man, in a matter of minutes I would have that tire off - the donut would be on and we would be on our way. I may have even grunted in approval, my daughter would be so proud of her old man. Things were going great.... until I went to the trunk, the jack was rusted a bit, no WD40 to be found, so it took a little to crank.... no worries, what's that - 75 mile an hour cars screaming passed your head no more than 2 feet away, no problem.... raised the car, removed the lug nuts and went to pull the tire off.... it should just slip right off right, NO... I banged, I kicked, I swore, that tire would not move. After 20 minutes of this wonderful experience, I buried my pride, yes my daughter was so dissapointed. I called the highway patrol to see if they could come help me out. (They would have some sweet magic wand that would get it off right).
Side note - Gabbie blew out her diaper by this time, so Heather was dealing with that as I was swinging like a baseball bat the crowbar and hitting the tire...
So after dispatch said they would send someone right out I thought I would go out and give it another try. Sure enough, that #(%(@ thing popped right off. I was so ticked. I hurried and put the donut on, lowered the car and.... the donut was pretty much flat, I could not beleive it. What is a guy to do to get a break around here. So we buckled Gabbie back in and headed down the shoulder... there it was, glistening in the sun.... a GOODYEAR sign... it was a Christmas miracle. So I swung the car in, I thought for sure they would be closed. We had 30 minutes to spare. I pulled the car right up, they changed the flat, put air in the donut, put the tire on.... and best thing of all FREE OF CHARGE.... so if anyone needs tires, visit the GOODYEAR in Sandy.
So we finally made it to the hospital (oh yes, the parents spent the day at the dunes without me, so I had that to feel bummed about also, the year is just beginning however, many more trips are to come). Well when we left about 9 pm, the nurse said it was going to be a long night and the little one would probably be born in the morning. So we headed on off, I was very disappointed for I was for sure that the kid was supposed to be born on this day, for I HAD A DREAM!!! Well later that night we got a phone call from mom and that little tyke popped out right before midnight.... THUS I WAS THE WINNER!!!!! For I HAD A DREAM!!! (my family will never hear the end of this one).
Thus ends the story of my weekend.... boy that was long....and oh yes.... Congrats little sis!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow, that was quit the story, glad it ended so well. congrats to your sister!
WOW! I had no idea you could see the future, do you realized the pranks we can play. We'll have to get together soon, so we can scheme. And I agree I hate it when places make appointments merely to try and even the flow of things when really they have no intention of honoring such schedule.
What is that show? Medium? Yeah you dream about things and then they happen! What do you see in my future....? (Or maybe I don't wanna know.)
Great job with the tire. I bet Gabbie was proud.
Post a Comment